To apply for a driving license in India, follow these steps:
- Obtain a Learner's License: Before applying for a driving license, you need to obtain a Learner's License (LL). Visit your local Regional Transport Office (RTO) and submit the required documents (proof of address, proof of age, passport-sized photographs) along with the filled-in application form. You may also need to pass a written test on traffic rules and regulations to obtain the LL.
- Learn Driving Skills: With a valid Learner's License, you can start practicing driving skills. Ensure that you display the Learner's License on your vehicle when practicing. Practice driving under the supervision of a licensed driver who has held a driving license for a minimum of 5 years.
- Book a Driving License Test Slot: Once you are confident in your driving skills, book a slot for the driving license test at the RTO. The test can be scheduled online or in-person at the RTO, depending on the procedures followed by your specific RTO.
- Prepare for the Driving License Test: Brush up on your driving skills, including knowledge of traffic rules, road signs, and safe driving practices. Be well-prepared for both the practical driving test and the oral/written test conducted by the RTO officials.
- Take the Driving License Test: On the scheduled date, visit the RTO with the necessary documents (Learner's License, application form, photographs, etc.). The driving license test typically includes a practical driving test to assess your driving skills and an oral/written test to evaluate your knowledge of traffic rules.
- Submit Required Documents: If you pass the driving license test, submit the necessary documents such as the Learner's License, photographs, application form, medical certificate (if applicable), and prescribed fee.
- Collect your Driving License: After successfully completing the process and submitting the required documents, you will receive your driving license at the RTO office or it may be delivered to your registered address via postal mail, depending on the procedures followed by your specific RTO.
It's important to note that the exact process and requirements for obtaining a driving license may vary slightly depending on the state or union territory in India. It's advisable to check the specific requirements and procedures followed by your local RTO for the most accurate and up-to-date information on applying for a driving license in your region